Why is this exotic fruit, with its ruby-red, jewel-like seeds, considered the #1 superfood?
Whats good about it?
A pomegranate is an anti-ageing powerhouse, its mega high in antioxidants to encourage skin cell regeneration, help to heal wounds, and protect against sun damage. They can also help to protect against age spots, and even wrinkles! The juice is a great source of vitamin C and vitamin K, which helps to support bone health.The fruit is rich in phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, zink and iron. It can also help you to slim as its a good source of vitamin B5, which helps the body process carbs and fats.
Easy pomegranate ideas
1) Meaty main: Grill lamb cutlets for 10 minutes, season, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and drizzle over pomegranate molasses.Add chopped mint leaves.
Salmon and veg spaghetti: Grill 2 salmon fillets rubbed with 1 crushed garlic clove and a squirt of Fry Light for 10 mins. Slice 1 carrot and 1 courgette with a spiralizer. Microwave for 2 mins with 1tbsp water. Season and squeeze with lime juice. Drizzle over pomegranate molasses and sprinkle over pomegranate seeds.
2) Superfood salad: Chop 1 papaya, 1 avocado, 1 small red onoin, 1/2 cucumber and combine with seeds from 1 pomegranate. Add handful coriander leaves and 1 deseeded and sliced chilli. Drizzle over the juice of 1 lime and 1tbsp olive oil. Top with toasted cashews.
3) Minty watermelon: Cut 1 watermelon into chunks. Place in a bowl, sprikle over 110g pomegranate seeds and 1 small bunch of mint leaves. Drizzle with 5tbsp white rum. Chill.
4) Low-fat pavlova: Spoon 0% fat Greek yogurt onto a pavlova. Top with pineapple, kiwi and pomegranate seeds.
Fruity pomegranate jelly
What you will need:
50g mixed frozen summer berries
40g golden caster sugar
3 gelatine leaves
275ml pomegranate juice
100g pomegranate seeds
What to do:
1) Put the frozen summer berries and sugar in a pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dessolved and the fruit hassoftened slightly.
2) Put the gelatine leaves in a bowl and cover with cold water until softened.
3) Pour the pomegranate juice into a separate pan. Remove the gelatine from the liquid, squize out the water and add the leaves to the pan. Heat gently until dissolved.
4) Spoon the fruit and pomegranate seeds into 4 dessert glasses. Pour over the pomegranate juice and chill in the fridge. You can top with rose petals, if youlike, to serve.